Summer of Food
Congratulations! You’ve made it to the end of the school year and summer is right around the corner. Now the fun begins and weekends at the beach, pool time, and other outdoor shenanigans abound. What a wonderful time to make new memories with your family! And don’t worry if you don’t have any plans. Summer is a great time to explore and get creative.
Getting Into The Summer Spirit
We love incorporating food into our summer activities. Not only is it a fun way to get kids excited about eating and drinking nutritious foods, but often times it’s an economical way to knock out some family bonding time.
Ever notice how kids have more interest when they take an active role in the decision-making process? Try some of our favorite foodie activities this summer and let us know what you think!
- Visit a farmer’s market and ask your kids to pick out what they’d like to cook at home.
- Plant a garden of herbs and veggies.
- Have a picnic at a state park.
- Make homemade pizza and incorporate lots of veggie toppings.
- Set up a lemonade stand.
- Have a luau in the backyard.
- Bake your own cookies for ice cream sandwiches.
- Pick berries.
- Make ice cream. Try those ice cream balls you fill with ice cream base and kick around until frozen.
- Have a backyard campfire… or just use the grill! Roast hot dogs on sticks, pop popcorn and finish off with s’mores.
- Plan a picnic at a local park or in your backyard.
- Investigate an ethnic grocery store and make lunch using interesting spices and kid-friendly international recipes.
- Blend your own smoothie.
- Create unusual s’mores by experimenting with ingredients like bananas, strawberries, and dried fruit.
- Have a fancy tea party.
The Lunch MOB is still fueling kids this summer and our kitchen is still open for business! If you live in Orange County, CA and have catering opportunities, please reach out.